5K My Way, Week 1, Day 2
Tuesday, September 06, 2011
Long day at work. Got home, fed the cat, and grabbed a slice of whole wheat toast with butter and honey before heading out to walk/run. Made sure to down a glass and a half of water, as the plan was to do this one without carrying a water bottle. 32 minutes, in 63 degree weather. Should be possible.
Went the same route as last time. Walk 1, Run 3, pay attention to hold the running speed down. I'm feeling pretty good, so I must be pacing myself okay. Try not to look at my watch too early in the run segments. First segment, check time at 1:30. A couple others, at 1:20. One segment I didn't check my watch till just after 2 minutes.
Not bad for someone who struggled to keep running for a full one minute two and a half weeks ago. Every running segment, I feel like I could keep going longer than 3 minutes. I make myself slow to a walk at 3 anyway. Cardio is not the only thing that needs to be developed slowly. I can tell that I'm developing runner's calluses on my feet, which are different from walker's calluses. Overdoing it looks like a way to get blisters before calluses.
Come to the end of the run, and I'm home too early. Tack on a little distance by going two driveways further and back. Net result, 3.89 miles or 0.08 miles further than Day 1. And I'm in better shape than I was at the end of the Week 1, Day 1 session. Part of that's more favorable weather, but part is likely that the training is working.
Forcing myself not to run yesterday might have a bit to do with it, too. I'm beginning to believe I can actually do this in the scheduled 5 weeks. Ramping up slowly instead of doing as much as I can, every time out, is the key. Dang, that's a hard lesson to learn.
Now, off to bed. Got the training in, got the blog in; but I'm out of time and need to get some rest.
No comments:
Post a Comment