Hydration at the Gym
Thursday, August 25, 2011
We all know that hydration is important, both in general and in particular when exercising. SP makes tracking water part of the system.
Historically, I haven't taken a water bottle to the gym. The gym has drinking fountains, and it's been a ritual to walk to the drinking fountain between sets and take a sip. I really didn't know how much water I was getting during a workout, but I was definitely getting some. (A water bottle would be more important for using a treadmill than lifting weights, but mostly I lift weights.)
Monday I took a 24 oz. water bottle to the gym, and used that instead of migrating to the drinking fountain. The idea was to see how much water I was drinking during the workout. It was an adjustment. I had to figure out what to do with myself while waiting to start the next set. Ended up deciding to pace a little close to the station to use the time. At the end of Monday's workout, I had maybe a half cup of water left in the bottle.
Today I took the water bottle again. The routine without the drinking fountain is easier, and it allows for better control of the time interval between sets. There's no waiting for the occasional cardio fanatic to drink for 40 seconds, and distance from the weight station to the drinking fountain becomes a non-issue. At the end of the workout, I had maybe a half cup of water left. So I guess 20 ounces is about what I want to drink during a weight lifting session. I'd say that's what I was sipping from the drinking fountain, except for one thing.
I have a habit of weighing myself in my gym clothes before I go lift. When I'm done, I take off my sweatband, squeeze it out, and then go weigh myself again. Historically, the post-workout weight has been a half pound to two pounds lighter than the pre-workout weight, depending on how fit I am and how much I sweat.
Monday I chugged the last bit of water before weighing, and weighed a quarter pound more after working out than before. Today I weighed while leaving the last bit of water in the bottle, and was the same weight as before the workout. (Then I drank the rest of the water, so I could transport an empty bottle.)
I think I've achieved the right hydration level during workouts this week. Turns out that when it's more convenient to get the water, I'll drink more. But my instincts when it's convenient are pretty good. I wasn't loading up on water that I didn't need.
That water bottle is going to go to the gym with me a lot. If I become very fit and work so long that I run out, I can always refill it at the drinking fountain.
No comments:
Post a Comment